Tuesday 7 July 2009

Rudo Y Cursi - film review


Rudo Y Cursi is a comedy about two half-brothers in Mexico who are spotted by a talent scout and rise from rural obscurity to become professional footballers. I'm not into football at all but I really liked this film. It was great for a Friday night; very funny and I don't think i've read as many subtitled swear-words before! Which is entertaining in itself, in a juvenile sort of way. I do like Gael Garcia Bernal (who played Tato, nicknamed Cursi, above left) which is one of the reasons I wanted to see the film.

The story starts with them working on their banana plantation, with Cursi playing his accordion in any spare moment he gets, and Rudo (played by Diego Luna) struggling to make ends meet to support his family. From desperate poverty, they are lifted to stardom as professional footballers (Cursi was a striker and Beto/Rudo a goalkeeper) in different teams, which adds fuel to their ongoing resentments with each other. However, their rise to fame isn't long-lived or simple, and they each go through their own life-changing journeys.

What I think was particularly good about this film was some great acting, from Bernal and Luna and also Guillermo Francella who played Baton, the talent scout (Francella is apparently big in his home country, Argentina). I really warmed to Tato and Beto because like many of us, they have high goals, but their human weaknesses (lust for one, gambling for another) quickly and cruelly bring them back down to earth.

I'd recommend Rudo Y Cursi for anyone's Friday night entertainment, football fanatic or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, so please go right ahead! Thanks in advance for your message. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

TweetThis